Each year I wait with eager anticipation for the results of the Eat Out Awards. South Africa does not have a Michelin rating system for food – as such awards such as the Eat Out Awards, Rossouws Restaurants guidelines and American Express ratings of the restaurants mean a lot to us. But out of all of them – the Eat Out Awards have always been my definitive guideline. This year however, it seems that they got rid of the panel of chefs that provided advice on the final choices. The result is that the industry will start to debate the credibility of the results into the future. Perhaps this now leaves a gap for another rating system to become the definitive guide in the country or perhaps Eat Out will work with the industry and gain its footing back by the next awards. This years results were interesting – 9 out of 10 are in the Western Cape. I was not surprised by any of the inclusions – other then the Greenhouse. I almost fell off my chair when they announced it as the top restaurant in the country. Admittedly the last time I ate there was two years ago – perhaps things have changed since then. There has however been no “buzz” about this spot which is a very established restaurant in our city. As such it feels almost as if it dropped from the sky into the first place!
My happiest new inclusion in the TOP 10 was NOBU at the One & Only Hotel in Cape Town. We ate there recently and had one of the most sublime tasting experiences of my life. They are masters of raw fish and flavours. Amazing – I cannot recommend it highly enough! Visit www.eatout.co.za to see their reviews, as well as the reviews of dinners that have visited the restaurants.
RESULTS FROM THE AWARDS ON SUNDAY 20 NOVEMBER 2011:
Best Bistro: Bizerca Bistro (Well deserved!!)
Best Steakhouse: The Local Grill in Boksburg, Parktown North and Sandton
Best Country Style Restaurant: The Table at De Meye (brand new – plan to try it soon and will report back!!)
Best Asian Restaurant: Kitima (Wonderful restaurant in Hout Bay Cape Town – authentic Asian staff that cook delicious combo’s – this was hard to get into before and with being named as the best Asian Restaurant – I would anticipate it getting harder to get a booking!)
Best Italian Restaurant: 95 Keerom (Wonderful for Georgio Nava to be back in the limelight – his restaurants are all very good – I love his Northern Italian Steakhouse – Carne & his Mozzarella is amazing and super delicious)
TOP 10 RESTAURANTS IN SOUTH AFRICA:
EAT OUT TOP 10 2011
- The Greenhouse – International, African – Cape Town (Western Cape)
- The Test Kitchen by Luke Dale-Roberts – Contemporary, Fusion – Cape Town (Western Cape)
- Tasting Room at Le Quartier Français – Contemporary, tasting menus – Franschhoek (Western Cape)
- The Roundhouse – Contemporary, French – Cape Town (Western Cape)
- Overture – Contemporary, Mediterranean, South African Stellenbosch (Western Cape)
- Terroir – Bistro, French – Stellenbosch (Western Cape)
- DW Eleven-13 Contemporary, International – Johannesburg (Gauteng)
- Jordan Restaurant – Bistro – Stellenbosch (Western Cape)
- Nobu – Sushi, Japanese – Cape Town (Western Cape)
- La Colombe – Fusion, Asian, French – Cape Town (Western Cape)
My consensus – if you were to work your way through this list while in the country – as a foodie you would have a very good time! So – do I agree with the list – oh yes – she is bang on the pulse and has selected a fabulous cross section of our restaurants!
So happy eating in 2012!