(15 to 25 minutes drive from the city centre)
- La Colombe – is one of the top fine dining restaurants in the country and has been for many years – despite changes in the chef’s along the way, they have managed to keep standards extremely high. Franc Dangereaux headed off to open The Foodbarn, Luke Dale Roberts opened The Test Kitchen, and Scot Kirton was then appointed the new executive chef in Sept 2010 (& is still at the helm 2014). At the end of 2014 the restaurant moved from Constantia Uitsig Wine Estate to Silvermist Mountain Lodge in Hout Bay. The restaurant also changed ownership – while retaining the same team. Note that as it is rated one of our top restaurants in the country it is always adviseable to put your booking in place well in advance! Verdict – I love the new location and had one of my best meals of the year here in May 2015. I would highly recommend La Colombe – great venue, amazing food, great creativity and presentation and friendly warm service……….combined with an awesome view over Hout Bay. Absolutely awesome!!! Cuisine: Fine Dining fusion of French & Asian flavours. Location: Silvermist Mountain Lodge, Constantia Nek, Hout Bay (021) 795 012 Open 7 days a week (but closed on Sunday nights during winter). Cost: $$$$
- Foxcroft – wonderful sister restaurant of La Colombe. Also fine dining – but more scaled down then La Colombe. Setting more casual in a small shopping centre. Great chefs and well worth booking. We loved our meal here! Cost: $$$
- Chefs Warehouse at Beau Constantia – this one is my personal favourite and best for lunch as it has a magnificent view of the Constantia winelands below combined with our local rock star legendary Chef Ivor Jones. Note one can book for this one! One MUST book as it is extremely popular! Open Tuesday to Sunday for lunch, Tuesday to Saturday for dinner. Check out Drizzle & Dips Blog for a beautiful visual journey of this fabulous dining experience! THIS A REALLY SPECIAL. BOOK WELL IN ADVANCE! Tip – if they are full call at 09h00 on the day as the outside tables are not booked – and if the weather is good – there is a high chance you will get an outside table
- Cheyne’s in Hout Bay opened May 2013 in Hout Bay – this is a wonderful bistro style restaurant that has been opened by a very talented local Cape Town chef Cheyne Morrisby, who had a loyal following with his last intimate restaurant in Cape Town city bowl. The decor is simple & gorgeous. It has expanded to seat around 40 people per sitting. The focus of the food is Pacific rim ………lots of Asian flavours when we visited. I loved the fact that he popped out of the kitchen to come and chat to the guests. This is a foodie treat and is well worth a trip to Hout Bay! Location: next to Caltex garage in Hout Bay Main Road. To book call 079 067 4919. . Open Tuesday – Sunday Lunch, Tuesday – Saturday dinner. Hout Bay is about 45 minutes to an hour from the city.
- Myoga – Top chef Mike Basset (of Ginja restaurant fame) opened up Myoga to high accolades. This remains one of Cape Town’s top fine dining experiences and is a must for anyone staying out in the Southern Suburbs. Tip – it is located in the beautiful and historical Vineyard Hotel – so plan to go early and enjoy a drink on the terrace in the beautiful gardens. Décor: Contemporary, while being understated. Location: Vineyard Hotel, 60 Colinton Rd, Newlands. Note that this is Southern Suburbs and as such is about a 15 minute taxi ride from the city in non-peak traffic times. Tel: +27-21 6574545
- SIXTEEN82 Bistro on Steenberg Wine Estate – is a delightful lunch spot to try while you are in the Constantia wine region. The Bistro is located just off the tasting room area for the Steenberg Winery. Steenberg are famous in South Africa for producing some of our best sauvignon blanc wines and a great champagne (called MCC in South Africa). The décor is contemporary and gorgeous and the cuisine is bistro like in style while remaining highly innovative – a treat for foodies. I have now eaten here many times and each experience is better then the last. This is a lovely setting to meet up with friends, have lunch and simply spend the whole afternoon enjoying a few bottles of wine. The food is well priced and represents fair value for money in my opinion. Tip – head here in the later afternoon for a bottle of bubbles and oysters from their raw bar – they also serve tapas in the late afternoon. In my opinion this restaurant offers good value for money and is reasonably priced for the quality it offers…….ie it is not too expensive! Open daily for breakfast, lunch and late afternoon snacks! Tel: +27 21 713-2211 Price $$ – $$$
- Constantia Glen Wine Estate – this is an absolute favourite for a lighter lunch with friends. The winery is located on top of a mountain in Constantia and boasts gob smacking views of the valley and the vines below. They do charcuterie & cheese platters and a lovely rustic salad – simply order a few of each to share with everyone and accompany it with one of their fabulous wines. Tip – you must book. Tip 2 – put your order in and ask at the same time to do a wine tasting for the table – this way you will all know what your favourite wine is! Tip 3 – you can buy bottles of wine there on a Sunday to take home! Tel: + 27 (0)217955639, Email email@example.com, Open daily from 10h00 – 17h00.
- Jonkershuis on Groot Constantia Estate – is a favourite of mine for breakfast on the weekend – the setting is fantastic. On weekends it is popular and so it pays to make a booking. Weather dependent, there is nothing nicer then booking to sit under the old oak trees. From here on a clear day you can see the sprawl of the Constantia vines, the distant view of Muizenberg and also a glimmer of False bay in the distance. This is a great spot to bring friends with kids – there is loads of space for them to run around! Closed Sunday night – open the rest of week. Tel: 021 794 6255
- Chapman’s Peak Hotel – is an institution for the best deep fried calamari in Cape Town. This spot is simple, simple decor, simply prepared food served in a pan with chips. We go for the calamari, the great view and to simply relax for the afternoon. It is a local favourite. It is casual and has no frills!! Tel+27 (0) 21 790 1036. Location – just before you go onto Chapman’s Peak Drive.