Likely to be the most exciting new opening of 2022! Chorus opened their doors in October 2022. Chef Bertus Basson has closed down Overture Restaurant on Hidden Valley Estate as the estate was sold. His newest opening is Chorus on Waterkloof Estate in Somerset West. The new restaurant boasts his signature of celebrating our indigenous ingredients and our heritage flavours. This is a fine dining establishment located within a contemporary building that is designed as a block perched on the side of a mountain. It boasts incredible views of false bay. The architecture of the building would have been worth a visit on its own. The wines from Waterkloof are also outstanding! The farm is organic and biodynamic. Lunch will be offered as either a 4 or 6 course option. The winery will also be offering tastings of its wines with small dishes/pairings prepared by the Chorus Kitchen.
Closed on Mondays. Open for lunch Tuesday to Sunday. Open for dinner Thursday to Saturday. Location – Waterkloof Wine Estate, Sir Lowry’s Pass Road, Somerset West.
Chef Marco Cardossi has opened a wonderful small eatery in the heart of the oldest part of Stellenbosch town. You will find de Eetkamer diagonally across the road from the Moederkerk. I have always loved the flavours of Marco’s food and have tracked him from Chefs Warehouse through to Local on Heritage Square and through to the leap of opening his first restaurant. At De Eetkamer expect a menu of fabulous small plate options to share. Marco is masterful with flavours and each small dish we tasted teased our taste buds and made me want to try more! The menu is small and will change as the seasonal ingredients change and will reflect the creative inspiration of the kitchen! I will be back there soon to work my way through a few more plates. Lunch was well priced, delicious, relaxed and fun! My type of place!
On my hitlist to go and try! I absolutely love Chef Jess Van Dyk’s food! Super talented! Wonderful to see all the young chefs taking the leap to open their first restaurants! Find her in the heart of the old part of Stellenbosch town.
“Dusk is a new and thought provoking restaurant concept conceived by chefs Darren Badenhorst and Callan Austin. The pair first met over a decade ago, when Callan walked through the doors as an intern at one of Darren’s kitchens in the Cape Winelands.” Dusk represents the Franschhoek restauranteurs spreading their wings in to Stellenbosch. This is top end top price fine dining. Talented chefs! Worth investigating if the budget allows as a holiday treat!
This is a very special spot. It is only open on a Saturday & Sunday for lunch and one has to book it in advance. The concept is simple – a family lunch sourced from the farm (& the region) reflecting what is fresh and in season. It has been created as a summer restaurant by the family who own Joostenberg Wine Estate. It is a wonderful setting in an outside courtyard that was historically used to house the families animals! This lunch was a feast of seasonal freshness. It is my favourite way of eating. I believe there would have been enough food even is one has a fussy family member! Below I have done a visual journey of our meal course by course. However to see a little more check out – Drizzle & Dip Blog gives a wonderful taste of the lunch experience . The cost is R360 per person for a 3 course menu featuring farm produce and recipes from childhood memories. To book email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call +27796411320
Nov 2020 STATUS: OPEN.
A celebration of the food of top South African Chef Neil Jewell. This kitchen is Neils domain – so picture real food – with a meat focus! The aim is to ensure that 85 percent of produce for the restaurant is sourced from the farm by the middle of next year. Vegetable planting is already in full throw. This is a perfect spot for a wonderful lazy lunch in the winelands. The menu is a la carte – so you can stay for a quick visit with a legendary charcuterie platter or stay for the full afternoon soaking up the view!
The La Colombe team has taken over a second restaurant area at Le Quartier Franscais Hotel in Franschhoek and created a beautifully designed open plan area for their new concept restaurant PROTÉGÉ. The concept is relaxed fine dining where talented Chef Stephen Raaff offers a menu of small plate dishes. The idea is to have 3 or 4 dishes per person and a dessert. The prices look good and it feels like a wonderful spot to spend an entire afternoon with a group of friends! I cannot wait to try this one out! The photos below are courtesy of our guide Shelley who snuck in to check out this new spot while she was on tour! Note that this spot will also serve breakfast for the hotel guests and will be open for breakfast bookings outsiders. Talented Chef. Getting great reviews!
Nov 2020 STATUS: OPEN.
Is a great new addition to central Stellenbosch town by top South African Chef Bertus Basson (owner of award winning Overture Restaurant). This is a great addition for a number of reasons – firstly Stellenbosch town has a shortage of fine dining restaurants – so this one will fill the gap for foodies who are staying in Stellenbosch Town on holiday. Secondly so many of our Chefs celebrate foreign cooking techniques – Chef Bertus has always drawn inspiration for his dishes from his Afrikaans upbringing. His new restaurant focuses on offering a menu that celebrates our South African heritage. The restaurant offers only tasting menus that will take you on a journey of local flavours. The current cost for the tasting menu is R850 per person and the menu will change regularly based on what is fresh and the inspiration of the Chefs. It I cannot wait to try Eike! Open Tuesday to Saturday nights from 7pm. 50 Dorp Street Stellenbosch. Book online (once on the website click Establishment and then Eike or email email@example.com
Is located on the main “drag” in Franschhoek. It is combo of luxury guesthouse, deli and a fine dining establishment at night. Visit in the evening to enjoy tasting menu prepared by award winning chef, Kevin Grobler, or to have a drink at their trendy bar. Chef Kevin previously lived and worked in Nice (France) for just under three years. He was the Head Chef at Michelin Star restaurant JAN (who to us is a rock star legendary South African Chef and the first South African chef to be given a Michelin star). He has also worked at local restaurants such as Delaire Graff, Cavalli and Terroir. I have not been to try this one yet as dining in Franschhoek at night requires a few night visits to Franschhoek! So this one is on the list for my next overnight stay! As you can see below – I have been stalking them during the daytime! Closed on a Sunday night and a Monday.
Opened early in December 2018 on one of my favourite wineries in Stellenbosch! I was literally stalking the progress online! The estate had been sold in 2012 and was closed to the public. The new owners designed a magnificent tasting room and restaurant on the estate – see the pics – if you are into architecture and contemporary design – this one should be on your list! It originally attracted rock star chefs -Chef Rikku Ò’Donnchű has worked for Heston Blumenthal, Thomas Keller and Grant Achatz. They however did not stay long and moved on. They have been doing a pop up in the city over winter 2019. Gate was left in the hands of one of the local chefs who had worked for the team. It is a really odd formula – it is multi course meal and open at night. Being really expensive and being in the middle of nowhere deep in the Cape Winelands is a really hard combo. I am not sure I am ready to invest in going yet. But should I make it one day – I shall report back! . Dinner is a 16 course menu where the Chef matches their taste for the avante-garde with the freshest produce to create a wonderfully theatrical meal! (Photos supplied by the restaurant as I have not been yet!)
Fairly New in the Cape Winelands
- Arkeste by Richard Carstens on Charmonix wine farm in Franschhoek. Richard has chosen a wonderful peaceful spot in a cottage just above Franschhoek for his new restaurant venture. The outside terrace here is magical – you are surrounded by trees and it is wonderfully peaceful. The restaurant is relaxed with simple decor. The chef looks happy and relaxed. The food looks a lot less complicated then it was in his past – he had a definite slant to molecular gastronomy! I am interested to head there for a lunch to try it out. Richard Carstens has always been one of our country’s most talented chefs. Open Wednesday to Sunday for lunch & dinner.
Nov 2020 STATUS: OPEN.
- Le Coin Francais – by talented Chef Darren Badenhorst – From their website – The newest edition to the Franschhoek scene is a restaurant really and truly for Franschhoek. Both in concept and in name, the aptly named “Le coin Français” , which literally means Franschhoek, will embody the essence of the valley in heritage, cuisine, art and wine. It will feature cutting edge methods meeting time tested French elegance in cuisine, a carefully selected locally themed wine list to showcase the best local wines, a French sommeliers selection, and an ever evolving collaboration of art in the theme of photography. I popped in to have a look – gorgeous decor – it simply feels grand as you walk in, with wonderful attention to detail and decor. They are currently open for dinner – choice between a 6 or 8 course tasting menu which can be done with our without wine pairing. This looks really good!
- Faber at Avondale – in the Paarl Winelands Region. This stays on the list as it is still a new opening for the Cape Winelands – note they have a new Chef. Chef Eric Bulpitt has moved to La Motte!
Nov 2020 STATUS: OPEN.
- Orangerie at Le Lude Champers estate – fabulous small restaurant next to the new tasting room at Le Lude Estate. Small conservatory style with wonderful light and small outside area. This is a family owned estate – one daughter did the gorgeous decor and the other daughter cooks. One can either do a tapas style platter with the champers tasting or stay for lunch at the Orangerie. Small delicious sounding menu! Tip – this estate is walking distance from the centre of Franschhoek (15 minutes). To book call +27 87 754 9925
- Epice – part of the La Colombe Group – they have just moved into the Le Quartier Franscais building November 2020. I desperately want to go and try this one out. It looks right up my alley. I LOVE spices. The reviews from this one are insane.
Nov 2020 STATUS: OPEN.