Private Cape Town City Tour:
Cape Town is the oldest city in South Africa and as such has acquired the name of the “Mother City”. Today we take a walk through the history of the City – its people, its buildings and its business district.
Highlights of today will be:
Either a walk or a driving tour through the oldest part of the city. Simply let us know your preference. Here we explore the old history of the Dutch India Company occupation, followed by the invasion of the British in 1795. Both had a distinct impact on the city in terms of architecture.
A visit to the Bo-Kaap area which is the only region of the city that people of colour were not forcefully removed from. This is the Cape Malay Muslim quarter of the city and boasts brightly coloured houses. There is the opportunity to visit some community projects in this area such as Monkey Biz and Streetwires (Mon – Sat. Closed Sat afternoon and Sunday)
A visit to the District 6 Museum (Mon – Sat) which is a museum of the memories of the people who were forcefully removed from the “sixth” district of Cape Town. Over 60 000 people were removed from the “slums” at the edge of the city. This museum is a powerful reminder of the happy times they shared living together. It is a place where the community meet to try and fight to recreate their community and to get their land back
Ascending the cable car to the top of Table Mountain (weather dependant). From the top of Table Mountain you enjoy panoramic views of the city and after a short stroll on a clear day you will be able to see all the way to Cape Point (weather dependant!).
Note: This tour is a half day tour which is either in the morning or in the afternoon. It is recommended tour be done on either a week day or a Saturday morning. Note also that the amount of activities achieved on each day tour would depend on the client’s preferences and the amount of time they chose to spend at each activity. For example on a perfect day, the clients may chose to spend the whole morning on the mountain!
THE CITY TOUR CAN BE BOOKED AS A FULL DAY TOUR. Additional ideas to consider including in your day:
- The tour could focus on shopping for African Arts and Crafts in specialist stores in the city and enjoy a visit Green Market Square – the city’s main fleamarket. It is always good to get an insiders perspective on where to shop!
- Include a visit to a home in the Cape Malay area for an introduction to the local cuisine that is the oldest in the Cape. Here you learn to make Rooti’s, a Cape Malay curry, fold samoosas and then sit down to a delicious lunch. This is the only area in Cape Town where people of colour were not forcefully removed. It is a wonderful way of getting to know a few of the locals! (Note that this can be included as a lunch stop without cooking!) This option works for foodies – note that it can be done as a standalone self drive or tour option – click to read more on our Cape Cooking Experiences webpage.
- A longer walk in the city for those that are energetic – explore the Company Gardens (the oldest part of Cape Town), St George’s cathedral, the local art gallery………etc!
- Include Half day of city, combined with lunch at a gorgeous restaurant in the Constantia Wine district, followed by wine tasting after lunch. To obtain more information on the Constantia Wine Tour click here.
- Include a walk in the world famous botanical gardens – Kirstenbosch. This garden is dramatically located on the Eastern slopes of Table Mountain.
We would recommend booking a full day tour as this allows the pace to slow down and one can enjoy exploring the various sights in and around Cape Town